Sunday, August 25, 2019

Cute Fox Applique Insulated Lunch Sack using Crafters Edge Crossover II

   After 5 long years I am finally dusting off the blog and will embark on chronicling my crafting and diy journey. Like some of you out there I did not have a crafty influence growing up so Pinterest, Instructables, YouTube and many more online platforms helped to teach me in my crafty and DIY ways. It has been a struggle. There have been many tears and manic after midnight laughter when a project goes sideways. I have made some very silly and embarrassing mistakes (but that is a post for another day 😅) and I am sure I am to have many more along the way.

   For a long time I have wanted to restart this blog. How this first post came about was truly unexpected but it was push I needed to jump into blogging. To make a long story short a few weeks ago an artist friend of mine told me about Crafters Edge. I reached out to them and sent pictures of projects I have made over the years. I was lucky enough to receive a Crafters Edge Crossover II to try out and create a project using their machine. I had to decide on a Fabric Die to select with so many cute fabdies I had a hard time deciding until I found the Cute Fox Fabdie. As some of you may know my sons name is Fox and I am a sucker for anything Fox related.

     
Currently the Crafters Edge Crossover II is 30 % of for the month of August

   

   With the Crossover II and cute Fox fabdie in my possesion it was time to decide on what to do for my first project. I wanted to make something I had never made before, so a pencil pouch was out. I am not quite at backpack making level so after lots of Pinterest research I decided on an insulated lunch sack. This is an easy back to school project. Most of the pictures in this post are from my second time making the lunch sack. My son has been using the lunch sack all week and it has been holding up so far.   

   This project is beginner level but does require some special materials such as 975 Insul-Fleece to insulate the lunch sack and Pellon Wonder Under 807 to turn the Fox into an iron on applique. You can also sew on the applique it's up to you. This lunch bag is easy to make and you can modify the size to your liking  a pocket add more than one Fox go wild! Now without further ado lets dig in!


Materials for the Fox Applique

Cute Fox Fabdie
3 different fabrics you can go traditional Orange, black, and cream colored cotton fabric or you can use whatever color or prints you like I'm not the boss of you!
Pellon Wonder Under 807


Materials for the insulated lunch sack

1/2 a yard of your outer fabric 
1/2 a yard of lining fabric (you can also use vinyl for easy clean up)
1/2 a yard Insul Fleece
Quilt Basting Spray
Nylon Webbing (optional for the straps)
Velcro 
Scissors
Rotary Cutter
Cutting Mat 
Ruler 
Chalk 

   I just have to say I have never used a Die Cutting machince I was a little intimidated. I am always scare I will break any new machine I use. Happily I can report I did not break the Crafters Edge Crossover II it is actually ridiculously easy to use. It has adjustable pressure so you can cut anything from paper to Faux leather. I have tested both and it was a breeze. 


Instructions for Fox Applique:


   Grab your Pellon Wonder Under 807 and the metal adapter plate. You will be usuing the plate as a template to cut the Wonder Under slightly smaller than the plate. 



   Take the fabric you have selected for your Fox and place the fabdies on top of the fabric to determine how much is needed for the corresponding die pieces, make sure that the width is the same as the Wonder Under.




   Once your fabric is cut go to your ironing board and place the ugly side of your fabric against the rough side of the Wonder Under. Iron for 5 seconds make sure it has adhered nicely. Once it has cooled take it over to the Crossover II.  

   Now we are going to make a sandwich. Place your metal adapter plate on top of the base plate. Next put the fabric on top of the metal plate. Place the die with the cutting edge down on top of the fabric and cover with the clear plastic plate. Adjust your roller pressure as needed. Remember the less fabric the smaller the pressure needs to be. I have been keeping the setting at 5 for this project. Run the sandwich through the machine and reveal your perfectly cut pieces. Peel the paper backing of the Wonder Under. If the paper does not peel away easily take it to your ironing board and iron for a few seconds. Set aside the pieces for now.

Instructions for insulated lunch sack:

   Decide the size you want the lunch bag to be and add an inch for seam allowance. You will be cutting 2 outer pieces and 2 pieces of Insul-Fleece the same size. I cut my pieces 13 inches wide and 16 inches long. Iron the outer pieces once they are nice and wrinkle free, we are going to grab our little Fox pieces and arrange it in the center of one of the outer pieces. I place the iron for about five seconds lift up and move to the next section. I don’t move the iron around until I am sure it has adhered to the outer fabric.  


   Place the Insul-fleece shiny side down use the quilt basting spray on the white side of Insul-fleece, make sure your room is well ventilated or go outside when using the spray. Place the ugly side of the outer fabric on top of the white side of the Insul-fleece. 


   If you want to add handles to the lunch sack, it’s now or never! Cut 2 pieces 8 inches long of the nylon webbing or whatever you want to use for the straps. Arrange them to your liking on the bag. Make sure that you place them at least two inches down from where the opening of the lunch sack will be. I like to use the back stitch to secure.   

                               

   Once both handles are attached pin them down away from the top so that they don’t get in the way later. Next place both outer fabrics pretty sides together and sew down the sides and the bottom. At the bottom of the sack center your seams and pull away from each other. You should now have a triangle. Pin 3 inches down grab a ruler and at the 2.5 inches down make a line across with the chalk.


Repeat on the opposite side. Backstitch on the line trim the excess and flatten the sack. Get your lining fabric and lay it on your cutting matt. Place your outer piece on top and cut your lining fabric the same size as your outer piece. Lay the outer piece once more on the lining so you can mark where the stitches on the outer piece are onto the lining. That way they match perfectly, and it makes it so much easier once you put it together. Turn the outer piece so the pretty sides are showing.

   It is time for Velcro we are almost at the finish line guys! Cut your Velcro in 8 in long strips. Sew on the pretty sides of the lining fabric one inch down from where the opening of the sack will be. I like to backstitch all the way around. Once the Velcro is sewn on, place the pretty sides of the lining together. Pin along the sides and the bottom. Sew the same as our outer piece leaving a 4inch gap in one of the sides of the lining. Place the outer piece inside the lining.  

Picture is from the previous bag I made I forgot to take pictures of this step the 2nd time around 😅






    Make sure the lining with the Velcro is facing the pretty side of the outer piece. Match the seams pin in place and sew around. Remember that gap we left in lining seam well let’s head on over there so we can turn the sack rightside out. Gently pull the outer piece through the gap. Sew the lining closed and push inside the sack. Now you can stop here if you want but if you want a more finished look you can topstitch all around the opening. Viola now you have your very own insulated lunch sack!

 
If you enjoyed this project please make sure to check out craftersedge.com the Crafters Edge Crossover II is 30% of for the whole month of August! I really enjoyed using the Crafters Edge Crossover II and I am excited to create more
Fox projects in the near future.

1st Lunch Sack I made. My son has been using it all week.
2nd bag I made for this tutorial.
                                    



   Thank for joining me today I hope you found this post helpful. To see what projects I am working on before a blog goes up you can follow me on instagram @lunaperdida.
I will have plenty to share as Halloween gets closer. We have some pretty lofty ambitions for this years costumes! Hope you all have a magnificent day!
















No comments:

Post a Comment